While we can’t hold our events during the lock-down, we’re taking a look at some of our members fashion stories:
Today meet Rachael:
1. Introduce yourself. Who are you, what do you do and where do you live?
I’m a full time carer for my mum, I spend a lot of time drinking tea and sewing and I live in East Leeds.
2. When did you start swapping and why?
I first started swapping when my son was a few years old, the clothes at the exchanges were much more individual and generally better quality than new ones, plus it saved money.
More recently, I’ve been helping run Leeds Repair Café, and when one of the regulars suggested us helping out at the clothes exchange in Woodhouse it made perfect sense. I sit in the café doing small hand sewn repairs, like buttons, and take bigger jobs away to be repaired by more skilled stitchers at the repair café. I think the biggest thing they’ve done is repair a coat lining when the outer of the coat was still fine.
3. Where are your favourite sustainable places to shop / swap / thrift?
The Revive shops in Kirkstall and Seacroft are a firm favourite, plus the Emporium in Halton.
4. How would you describe your personal style?
Stealth mum/plain but bright colours.
5. What are the most treasured items in your wardrobe?
6. What’s your best exchange find?
A pink and gold skirt for a friend!
7. Do you have any fashion regrets?
Too many to mention!
8. If someone is wanting to get into sustainable fashion, what tips would you give them?
Step back and think about why you’re buying something new so often, whether your money could be better spent elsewhere, or simply saved.
Start small, because it can be overwhelming to try and find out how to shop truly ethically, and because doing so can be really expensive, clothes swaps can be the best place to start.
9. Who should we be following on instagram?
@raeburn_designs and @konichiwakitty
While we can’t hold our events during the lock-down, we’re taking a look at some of our members fashion stories:If you would like to submit your own fashion story, complete the form here